Saturday, November 20, 2010

'Tis the Season to Be Wondering

Is it me, or does the Christmas season start a little earlier every year?

This year, the leftover Halloween candy wasn't even gone from our kitchen counter (and it goes pretty quickly at our house), before the interminable sound of Sugar Plum Fairies began dancing in my head. 

Those damned holiday songs were already on the radio, TV, and department store PA systems. 

Bah, humbug.

Excuse me, but didn't proper holiday etiquette used to dictate that the Christmas season will not start until after Thanksgiving?

In fact, wasn't the official opening of the season Santa's appearance on the VERY LAST float of the the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Yes, Virginia, it was.

Between the effects of global warming and the ever sliding holiday schedule, it seems as though the whole concept of seasons has been redefined since I was a kid.

I'm a true believer in the power of transformational marketing, but this is ridiculous. 

The way things are going, I won't be surprised if not very long from now, the Christmas season starts a few days after the 4th of July. 

-MD

Bookmark 
and Share Subscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment